The State Mining Corporation Limited (SMCL) is the first state owned mining company in the country. It was incorporated on 31 December 2014 as 100 % DHI owned company. It was established to realize the immense potential of the minerals sector as one of the five jewels of economic activities and the State’s need to participate in the sector to reap benefits for the larger public. SMCL’s main objective is to carryout responsible mining by striking a balance in minerals extraction, utilization and environment conservation, while enhancing revenue generation.
Explore and develop mineral resources in a responsible manner for intergenerational equity.
Be the leading company in sustainable mineral resources management to distribute the national wealth to the people of Bhutan.
- Play an exemplary role in terms of technology and process to make the mining and mineral sector environmentally responsive, socially acceptable and financially sustainable;
- Increase the contribution of the mineral sector to the national economy and create gainful employment opportunities to Bhutanese;
- Be designated body to develop strategic minerals as defined by Ministry of Economic Affairs (MoEA);
- Prospect and develop such other mines and minerals provided it is viable;
- Carry out mining activities for supply to the domestic and export markets with first priority given to domestic industries; and
- On its own, or through JV Partnerships engage in all the above activities
Conduct business with honesty, transparency and responsibility to promote high standard of corporate governance
Internalizing and upholding responsibilities, honoring commitments
Trust-based working relationship among employees across all levels and building strong collaboration based on mutual respect, understanding and cooperation with partners
Strive for the highest standards in conducting business, in terms of delivery of quality goods and services
Committed to highest standards through hard work, cost control and innovation