About CDM Chunaikhola Dolomite Mine was taken over by SMCL on 1st of October, 2021 from M/s JMCL upon the expiry of the latter’s auction lease term of 15 years. It was allocated to SMCL by the Royal Government of Bhutan under interim conditions because of the COVID-19 pandemic. About 82.56% of the JMCL’s staff and […]
PROFILE Dasho Karma Yezer Raydi CHAIRMAN Dasho Passang Dorji DIRECTOR Dasho Chewang Rinzin DIRECTOR Mr. Geley Norbu DIRECTOR Mrs.Kesang Dema DIRECTOR Mr. Pem Tshering DIRECTOR Mr. Kezang Jamtsho DIRECTOR
The State Mining Corporation Limited (SMCL) is the first state-owned mining company in the country. It was incorporated on 31 December 2014 as a 100 % DHI-owned company. It was established to realize the immense potential of the minerals sector as one of the five jewels of economic activities and the State’s need to participate in the sector to reap benefits for the larger public.
SMCL’s main objective is to carry out responsible mining by striking a balance in minerals extraction, utilization, and environment conservation, while enhancing revenue generation. The primary mandates, as per the Articles of Incorporation are as follows:
- Play an exemplary role in terms of technology and process to make the sector environmentally responsive, socially acceptable and financially sustainable;
- Increase the contribution to the national economy and create gainful employment opportunities for the Bhutanese;
- Be the designated body to develop strategic minerals as defined by Ministry of Economic Affairs (MoEA);
- Prospect and develop such other mines and minerals provided it is viable;
- Carry out mining activities for supply to the domestic and export markets with first priority given to domestic industries; and
- On its own, or through JV Partnerships engage in all the above activities.
Be the leading company in sustainable mineral resources management to distribute the national wealth to the people of Bhutan.
Explore and develop mineral resources in a responsible manner for intergenerational equity.
Conduct business with honesty, transparency and responsibility to promote high standard of corporate governance
Internalizing and upholding responsibilities, honoring commitments
Trust-based working relationships among employees across all levels and building strong collaboration based on mutual respect, understanding, and cooperation with partners
Strive for the highest standards in conducting business, in terms of delivery of quality goods and services
Committed to highest standards through hard work, cost control and innovation